“Cyber security is about humans, not just IT
Computers do not make mistakes by themselves, so employees remain your biggest potential vulnerability. But they are also your strongest defense, if briefed properly.
The key is to have sensible policies and procedures, so that staff do not need to find workarounds; to design out as many potential problems as you can; and to train people about the few remaining vulnerabilities, so that they avoid falling into the traps. They should be receptive to good briefing, as it helps them protect their own personal information, as well as the organization’s.”
ACTSmart is providing this information in an effort to help educate our clients and friends. Many of the links, programs and suggestions on this page are for personal use. Our ProWatch clients are already protected by the enterprise strength solutions we provide.
Practicing safe computing is essential. Security starts with each person’s computer and, if compromised, can infect other computers including those at work
Secure passwords are hard to remember because they are long and / or just gobbledegook.
LastPass is a FREE password keeper (www.lastpass.com) that remembers all your passwords. The paid version also has dual authentication, making your passwords even more secure!LastPass tutorial page for instructions on how to set up and use lastpass – https://lastpass.com/support_screencasts.php
Sophos Home (currently in beta) protects every Mac and PC in your home from malicious software, inappropriate websites and viruses. It uses the same award-winning technology that IT professionals trust to protect their business systems. Best of all, you can manage security settings for the whole family from any browser.
Please note that this free version of Sophos Home is for private and non-commercial use, letting you protect up to ten computers per account
Sophos Home keeps nasty viruses at bay, stops malware from slowing down your computer, and helps prevent unwelcome hackers from gaining access to sensitive personal information.
Sophos Home protects you from online threats and unsuitable content. With just a few clicks, block access to sites that may contain inappropriate content or malicious software.
- Microsoft Security Essentials – http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/security-essentials-download
- Avast – https://www.avast.com/index
- Avira – http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus?dlsrc=homepage#start-download
- AVG – http://www.avg.com/ww-en/free-antivirus-protection
For virus and malware removal:
- Malwarebytes – https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/sem/
- ADWCleaner – http://1download.io/v4/adwcleaner-4.206/?adid=8555297746&qs=•adwcleaner&mt=p&sl=s0&geo=us&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=adwcleanerUS&utm_term=adwcleaner
- MSERT – http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx
- SuperAntiSpyware – http://superantispyware.com/
- ComboFix – http://www.combofix.org/
- TDSSKiller – http://usa.kaspersky.com/downloads/tdsskiller
- RogueKiller – http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/files/file/413-roguekiller/
If you are suspicious of a file or website, simply go to VirusTotal.com and put the link or the file into the field and it will be checked by 64 sources.
OpenDNS– Free version is a must for parents!
Automatically blocks sites that it knows contain malware.
A simple setting change on all your devices. Provides parental web filter, and protection from sites known to contain malware.